Saturday, April 7, 2012

Is ok to travel by plane with my 1 month old baby

Is ok to travel by plane with my 1 month old baby?
My baby is set to be born on 8/22. I live in NY and my awaited 10 year High School reunion in TX is Sept. 26. I really would like to go, but i don't want to harm the baby. My husband would travel with me and it is a short flight from NY to Dallas and then another flight from Dallas to El Paso.
Newborn & Baby - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think that is something to really ask your doctor. Planes are really hotbeds for germs and especially with a new born, they can catch a lot. I would say check with your doctor.
2 :
I traveled with my son when he was 9 weeks I just make sure when the plane took off he was sucking a bottle and then his ears would not pop. It was fine and then about 1 1/2 years later I did it again with 2 babies go for it!
3 :
A month postpartum my son and I got on a plane and took a 22 hour flight to Russia, by ourselfs! It is okay. Mothers will tell you no, not because of health risks but because they are too fearful to travel with such a small infant. Don't allow other moms fears to be your own. As long as your peditrican gave you the thumbs up, your good to go!
4 :
according to babycenter.com at 4-6 wks baby can travel by air. I have a friend that traveled with baby pretty early on and she is fine. Just keep a binkie or breast/bottle handy to use during take off and landing so their ear can adjust. I traveled when my son was a little older at about 6 months, they tend to sleep the whole way.
5 :
Your not supposed to fly with a baby under 1 year old some reports say. Some do and I personally don't know of anyone who had an issues who followed the basic rules when on a plane. Like an above poster said have him sucking his bottle during takeoff and landing so the babies ears don't pop. On a sidenote some airlines (don't know of any US ones thou) actually have baby cribs for young babies for mothers with young babies so apparently enough are doing that to warrant such a thing.
6 :
I went on a plane when I was about 1 month old to. But I would highly ask your pediatrician about that. I am just concerned about when your ears pop, that will probably be uncomfortable for the baby. I would also ask your pediatrician about some medicine the baby can take to reduce her/ his chance of getting sick on the plane/ trip. Hope this helps.
7 :
I don't think it would be harmful, but the baby will probably be very fussy and cry a lot, as he/she would not yet know how to pop their own ears to regulate the air pressure. (Oh, and Dallas to New York nonstop is not a short flight, [or at least I don't think a flight ranging from 3hrs 40mins to 4 hours is short, lol] I looked it up on Expedia, and it is REALLY expensive.) Seeing the expense of a non-stop from New York to Dallas, and seeing as how the airline might actually charge for a one month old (don't put it past them these days) and (not to sound mean) taking other passengers into consideration, you might want to consider leaving your husband home with your baby, and just going by yourself. However, DEFINITELY get a picture taken to show off :-)

Search News